L's Lair

Monday, February 12, 2007

MUSIC, MUSIC EVERYWHERE!

For as long as I can remember, I've always anticipated watching the Grammy's. It's an event that I, quite honestly, can't remember ever missing. It has often fallen on my birthday and I've been content to spend my "big day" watching the spectacle on TV in lieu of a party or celebration.

I'll admit, some years are better than others. I do enjoy the fact that they pack the show fuuullllll of performances from many genres of music.

On my 30th birthday, David and I were in New York City, staying one block from Radio City Music Hall. The Grammy's were held in NYC that year. Of course, we weren't lucky enough to have tickets to the show but it was pretty cool to watch it in our room and realize that it alllllll was goin' down just a few yards from us. We watched out our window as limos dropped off celebrities at a huge white tent (one of the many after-Grammy parties, no doubt). Sadly, we were 20+ floors up so the people looked like sparkly specs. We couldn't make out any faces.
(Sidenote: for you other Grammy nerds, um, aficionados . . . that was the year that the guy painted SOY BOMB on his chest and interrupted Bob Dylan's performance. Priceless!)

I totally enjoyed the Grammy Awards last night. LOTS of great music. It was a good night.

How could a show go wrong when it starts with a reunion of The Police? Hellooooo!!!! It was fabulous. I found myself smiling like a big ole dope during their whole performance. They rocked. (For the record, Sting is the only man that I'll allow to wear a vest with nothing underneath. Normally, his fashion choice would be considered a MAJOR faux pas in my book. However, yoga has been very, very good to that man. Admit it!)

Thought the Dixie Chicks were great. Their performance was dead on. Natalie's new brunette "do" was to die for. Was really glad they had a big night. I honestly don't care if you agree with their politics or not . . . that CD is incredible.

Justin Timberlake was the consummate performer, as usual. That boy is sooooo comfortable on a stage. He sang my favorite song from his CD. (No matter how many times he denies it, we all know that song is about Britney!!)

Loved, loved, loved the combined performance of Corinne Bailey Rae, John Legend, and John Mayer. Excellent ode to the singer/songwriter trend!

Mary J. is true R&B royalty. A diva. Was thrilled that she had such a big night.

Christina Aguilera made my jaw drop with her unbelievably genius version of James Brown's It's a Man's World. That little cotton-candy-haired pixie can flat wail!!! How does all of that sound come outta that petite body?!

Luckily, there were no real lulls this year. You know, the kind where they bring the broadcast to a screeching halt by doing a 30-minute tribute to polka players from the Middle East or some such nonsense. (*head scratch* I don't know. ARE there polka players in the Middle East? You've got me!)

1 Comments:

  • You ought to write for Rolling Stone! Your commentary was an awesome read! Kinda' makes me wish I would have watched it, now!

    Later ...

    derick <><

    By Blogger The Euxboosphere, At 2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home