L's Lair

Friday, November 24, 2006

Veni, Vidi, Vice OR Why Black Friday is Not for the Faint of Heart

I submit that the following schedule is a surefire recipe for certain insanity (and exhaustion).

TUESDAY
I sat down and typed out a thorough Christmas gift list--complete with columns and everything. Very official.

WEDNESDAY
I ran a recon mission to Target (you know, to scope out the items on aforementioned list). May sound crazy to have found the presents but not actually purchase them while I was there. (That would have stolen the fun from the whole event, silly!) I thought of it as a dry run-through. Besides, I'm no fool. I knew that SC would have no sales tax on the day after Thanksgiving. Made perfect sense to me to spend $5 in gas to make the trip to Target in order to save .30 on Friday. Duh.

THURSDAY
Before lapsing into tryptophan-induced stoopers on Thanksgiving, we spent quite a while pouring through the myriad sales inserts in the paper. We made mental notes of the best deals, etc. Went to bed early in order to be prepared for the next day's competetive shopping event.

FRIDAY
3:00 a.m. -- the alarm went off (No, that wasn't a typo!)
4:00 a.m. -- we arrived at the mall to find a very full parking lot. People had already been shopping for 3 hours.
5:15 a.m. -- we left the mall to head to Target. Although it wasn't scheduled to open for another 45 minutes, the parking lot was full and the line of people (supervised by police) wrapped around the building. Sure. Any sane person woulda turned around and left. Yeah. Not us. No sir. We went to the back of the line and grumbled with the rest of the crowd. (You know, as if someone was actually holding a gun to our head to make us stand in this line.)
6:00 a.m. -- the madness began. We entered the store (along with hundreds of other red- bullseye-worshippin' fools!) and ventured into the belly of the beast (a.k.a. the electronics department).
6:20 a.m. -- we exited the store (victorious!) and purchased caffeine to keep us going.
6:30 a.m. -- we entered a surprisingly peaceful Sam's Club. We were glad to have a little respite from the craziness. We took this opportunity to stock up on essentials for upcoming parties and entertaining. (Nothing says holiday like buying cheese in bulk.)
7:30 a.m. -- we visited Best Buy to pick up another planned purchase. Although the place was nuts, I'm sure it was MUCH worse a few hours earlier. We heard tales of folks grilling in the parking lot in the middle of the night as they waited in line.
8:30 a.m. -- our final stop was at the local Christian bookstore to pick up a couple more gifts.
9:30 a.m. -- we unloaded our bags and bags of "finds" and collapsed in a heap on the couch. There was a great football game on. Needless to say, we missed it, you know, with the snoring and all. Sheer exhaustion.

Can't say we'll do the same thing next year. At least we can say we did it once though.

3 Comments:

  • You guys are INSANE. I.N.S.A.N.E. I would rather have my wisdomn teeth pulled without sedatives.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:10 PM  

  • You guys are INSANE. I.N.S.A.N.E. I would rather have my wisdomn teeth pulled without sedatives.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:11 PM  

  • Not only do I do this with my best friend Jo every year but I have now converted your favorite elder, John and Jo's hubby to join in the madness! They left the house before Jo and I did this year and snagged 2 out of 3 of the girls big gifts, what fun!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home