L's Lair

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

"ROOTS" IS MORE THAN A BEST-SELLING NOVEL BY ALEX HALEY

Exactly 24 hours and counting...whew!!! I'm sooooo excited!

No, I'll not be making a big announcement tomorrow (I'm NOT pregnant).

No, I'll not be walking out of my current job (OR walking into a fabulous new one for that matter!).

No, it's not the day I'll announce that I've discovered the cure for all manner of diseases.

No, it's not the day that I'll try anchovies or skydiving for the first time.

Oh no, y'all! Tomorrow's event is MUCH bigger than any of that!

Tomorrow is the day that I get my "hair did" (queue the angel chorus in the background). Not a moment too soon, might I add. I'm looking rough..."white trash" might not be too strong a term at this point.

Because I, admittedly, pay a pretty penny for the upkeep of my tresses, I try to stretch out the time between appointments much more than most of my friends. It somehow eases my guilt when I write that check.

As I looked in the mirror this morning (and tried to figure out a creative way to "hide" what my stylist lovingly refers to as new growth) I was reminded of a priceless story.

When our youngest (Noah) was about 3 or 4, we were eating at a Taco Bell that was fully decked out for the upcoming holiday. The windows were covered with the usual cling-on symbols of Halloween--witches, cats, etc.

Being the clever step-mom that I attempt to be, I thought I'd make good use of our time. I began quizzing little Noah about his colors. In my best, patronizing voice I asked, "Noah, can you point out some things in here that are black?"

He paused for only a couple of seconds, lifted his plump, toddler finger to the window and said, "That caaaaaat......that wiiiiiitch....(and then he pointed at my head)...that front part of your haaaaaiiiiir......."

Ahhhh...from the mouths of babes. ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home