L's Lair

Sunday, September 24, 2006

WHITE TRASH SALAD SPINNER

I refuse to watch the Rachel Ray Show anymore!!! Well, at least until she agrees to bring her chainsaw voice down at least a couple of decibel levels. It's simply tooooo much! Must she holler?

That being said, I must admit that I picked up a great tip from her very first show that aired this week. I can't believe I actually tried it...but it did work.

David and I aren't big spinach eaters. Have nothing against it (uhhh, I guess until this whole e coli debacle) but we just usually don't buy it. However, we do eat LOTS of leafy green lettuce (no iceberg for us, y'all. We's uptown!) ;-)

Recently, we grew frustrated with throwing away bagged, pre-cut lettuce that always seemed to "expire" five minutes after we placed it in our fridge. You pay dearly for the convenience and then it turns to goopy mush!

We went old school recently...started buying actual whole heads of lettuce!! (Can you imagine?) It does taste better -- fresher. However, the washing and drying part can be a bit of a pain. I never received a high tech salad spinner as a wedding gift and heaven knows I can't be bothered with a making a trip to Big Lots to purchase a knock-off for $5.99.

One of Rachel Ray's guests suggested placing your lettuce in the washing machine (stick with me here) and putting in on the spin cycle for 30 seconds. No, really! I'm aware that this helpful hint can elicit one of two possible reactions:
1) Wow! What a fabulous suggestion! I think I'll add it to my domestic repertoire!
OR
2) Note to self...never accept dinner invitation to David and Lori's!!!

My promise to you is this--if you do come over for a meal, I won't use the White Trash Salad Spinner. You have my word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home