L's Lair

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

WHAT I'M READING AND LISTENING TO


THE RACONTEURS
Broken Boy Soldiers

Have really been listening to this CD a lot lately. SOOO good. They sound like a raw, garage band. The production is gritty & not super-polished. I've always been a fan of Jack White (really dig the White Stripes) -- this is some of his best work ever.

[Side note: Wow. Jack could REALLY use some vitamin D. What DOES the boy have against a little sun?! And I thought IIIIII was pale....)


BLUE LIKE JAZZ
by Donald Miller

This was my favorite book of the past couple of years. I actually started re-reading it a few weeks ago. There was so much to digest the first go 'round...thought I might be able to glean different "driblets" on the second read through. Donald Miller's transparency is unbelievably refreshing. This is by NO means a nice, neat, tidy Christian book. He doesn't claim to have all of the answers. I sincerely wish that I could have been exposed to writing like this years ago. (Although, I suppose it's possible that I wouldn't have been as open to his ideas 20 years ago).

I admire the way that he doesn't paint Christianity with the typical brush -- on the predictable canvas. No doubt, this book has probably raised many eyebrows in the ultra-conservative Christian community. (Hey, that can't be all bad, huh?)

I plan on blogging at a later date about this book with more detail. There's so much there. I don't know where to begin right now. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home