L's Lair

Monday, August 14, 2006

THEY SAY IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!



David and I dated almost a year before I was introduced to his two sons. We just felt strongly that we needed to take that slowly.

I'll never forget the first day I met them. Naturally, I felt like I knew them already. After all, I had heard their dad talk (in detail) about Ian and Noah for months and months. I was really nervous when that day finally came.

We decided to meet up at WestGate Mall in a very casual manner. It was December and, naturally, the place was bustling! We met at McDonald's in the food court. (Little did I realize that this would be the first of many Happy Meals that we'd all share together! I had no idea that the famous "meal in a box" would become a way of life. Ugh.) David stood in the long line as I sat there with two little boys; they were seven and almost three. David kept looking back over his shoulder, making sure that everything was okay. Luckily, the boys were precocious and talkative. Ian took great pride in interpreting everything that Noah was trying to say to me. The whole experience was kind of surreal. I couldn't believe that I was actually finally meeting the little men who were so important to the man that I loved.

After our delicious meal of fat and sodium, we ventured to the center of the mall to make the all-important visit to Santa. Little Noah was wide-eyed. Ian, however, was not. He had just discovered "the truth" about Santa and was not happy about it. I stayed with him while David and Noah stood in line. I can remember little Ian's face as he watched his brother in line. On one hand, he seemed envious, but on the other hand, he had an expression of "Poor sucker. He has no idea."

The day went successfully. It was a relief to finally cross that hurdle.

I absolutely adore the boys equally -- always have. In some regards, I may relate to Ian in a different way...simply because he's the firstborn (like myself). I understand some of the issues and pressures that come with that role.

We're now ten years down the road. I can honestly say that he's grown into a fine young man. He's intelligent, thoughtful, talented, witty...oh how witty! ;-)

Recently, David looked at Ian's scruffy face and quickly declared that the facial hair had to go. He took off on an obligatory, parental, fifteen minute soliloquy about the evils of not shaving, blah, blah, blah. (Ironically, David was sent home from school at 14 for sporting a full beard. Go figure.)

Later that evening, Ian came to me and asked if I'd try to talk his dad out of making him shave. Funny. He'd never done that before. Honestly, I think he learned long ago not to play any of the parents (or step-parents!) against each other. ;-)

The next morning, I very casually said to David, "Honey. Would you do me a small favor? Don't sweat the issue of Ian shaving. There's no need for him to shave. It's summer. He's not in school. We're not heading to church or to see anyone. Can't we just let it be and not sweat the small stuff?" He, somewhat reluctantly, agreed that it probably really wasn't that big of a deal.

Later, when Ian awoke, David said, "Listen son. I've given it some thought and I'm not gonna make you shave." Before he could finish his sentence, Ian RAN over to me and gave me a big bear hug and kiss. I LOVED the look on David's face. He caught on quickly. He exclaimed, "Hey! Wait a minute! You two are in cahoots! I've been 'had' haven't I?! I don't think I like this!" ;-) (heh-heh)

I don't know what the future holds for sweet Ian but I do know that his ability to disarm people (or should I say charm people) with his humor will serve him well. Works on me all of the time.

Happy 17th birthday, Ian. I honestly couldn't be more proud!

Love,
Lo-Lo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home