L's Lair

Saturday, July 29, 2006

THE OTHER GUY'S FACE

Today, while my iPod was in shuffle mode, I heard a song that I’ve not taken the time to listen to in ages. It’s a mellow but driving song by Chris Rice called The Face of Christ. The lyrics are haunting & really make you sit up and take notice.

A few years ago, we had a very memorable service at our church. The sermon itself was good but the most powerful part of the service actually took place well before the pastor stepped on to the stage. With the assistance of a couple of women in the church, our pastor disguised himself as what can only be described as an indigent bum. Frankly, he looked horrible and was totally unrecognizable. His hair was long, ratty and dirty. His clothes were tattered. He looked as if he hadn’t showered in weeks. He even sported an unkempt beard.

The catch? None of us knew that it was our pastor. He didn’t tell anyone! As a matter of fact, David and I were leading worship that particular Sunday and I remember panicking a little bit as I looked down into the audience. Why wasn’t Hub in his normal seat? Doesn’t he know it’s almost time to preach?!

While in his disguise, he made sure that he was visible as people arrived in our parking lot that Sunday. Despite a horribly rainy day, he wandered the parking lot while pushing a shopping cart. I’m certain that most people hurried past him in order to get out of the rain.

As the service started, David and I sang the Chris Rice song that I heard this morning. It said:


He shares a room outside with a dozen other guys
And the only roof he knows is that sometimes starry sky
A tattered sleeping bag on a concrete slab is his bed
And it’s too cold to talk tonight
So I just sit with him instead and think

How did I find myself in a better place
I can’t look down on the frown on the other guy’s face
‘Cause when I stoop down low, look him square in the eye
I get a funny feeling, I just might be dealing
With the face of Christ


After sixteen years in a cold, gray prison yard
Somehow his heart is soft, but keeping simple faith is hard
He lays his Bible open on the table next to me
And as I hear his humble prayer
I feel his longing to be free someday

How did I find myself in a better place
I can’t look down on the frown on the other guy’s face
‘Cause when I stoop down low, look him square in the eye
I get a funny feeling, I just might be dealing
With the face of Christ


See you had no choice which day you would be born
Or the color of your skin, or what planet you’d be on
Would your mind be strong, would your eyes be blue or brown
Whether daddy would be rich, or if momma stuck around at all

So if you find yourself in a better place
You can’t look down on the frown on the other guy’s face
You gotta stoop down low, look him square in the eye
And get a funny feeling, ‘cause you might be dealing ...



During the song, it was actually a little distracting as one of the ushers brought the homeless guy down front to be seated on the second row. It’s possible that women around him may have actually clutched their purses. When we stepped off stage, our bass player even said, “Man! Did you see that dude they just brought in?! He was lookin’ ROUGH!”

The next thing we knew, our pastor Hub (aka homeless guy) stepped up on to the stage. It was quite a moment when he first opened his mouth and we realized who it was. We knew that we had been “had.” I can’t recall every point that he made that day. I DO remember the lesson that it seared into my brain, though.

We were all forced to examine (in a very vivid way!) how we automatically make assumptions about others … how we look down on them. Sadly, it’s human nature.

This morning, as I listened to the song, I starting clicking off a list in my brain. Why me? Why did I have the good fortune of being born into the family that I was born into? Why was I afforded a good education? Why was I allowed to see many parts of the world? Why did God bless me with good health and a strong mind?

Some may call it luck. Some may call it good fortune. We, as Christians, can even throw around the over-used word “blessed.” Regardless, one thing I’m certain of -- I absolutely did nothing to deserve my life!

This morning, as I took time to pull weeds in my yard, I even found myself being grateful for the weeds. Isn’t that odd?!!! I kept thinking, “Wow. These weeds are in MY yard. The yard that’s attached to the home that I own. How many people wish that they owned a home.”

The song was just a good reminder. How DID I find myself in this place?! I hope I’ll be strong enough, compassionate enough to “stoop down low” and look the “other guy” square in the eye before making judgment calls. God has blessed me … I don’t want to take ANY of it for granted. Why me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home