L's Lair

Thursday, August 03, 2006

WHAT THE HECK IS A SNORKIE?!

I suppose some folks are dog people and others, well, they're not. It doesn't make you a bad person if you don't care for canines (unless you inflict bodily harm, of course). Anyone who knows me would probably not consider me a "dog person" -- that is until last year. Frankly, I grew up running from anything that resembled a dog, big or small. Never been a huge fan.

David and I have a busy life. Sometimes it feels like we're gone more than we're here. A pet just doesn't seem practical for us...at all! We've killed more than one goldfish by sheer neglect. I had a pair of goldfish, Manolo and Blahnik -- let's just say that they are no longer a matching set. (Oh my dear Blahnik, may you rest in peace. We hardly knew ye.)

My brother-in-law's family (in AL) have a miniature schnauzer that snuck out of the house and "flirted" with the neighbor's tiny yorkie. The rest is history. We asked if we could have one of the puppies (what WERE we thinkin', huh?) You'd think that a mixed breed like that would simply be some kind of fluffy mutt. Oh no. Not true. It's a "designer breed" with a name and everything! People pay big bucks for them. (Please don't tell my bro-in-law. We got it for free!)

This little "toy" breed is called a SNORKIE. Yep. Sometimes it's downright embarassing to say out loud when someone inquires about his breed. David feels that it's especially tough to sound manly while saying the word SNORKIE. Yeah. He's right. Frankly, it's hard to say the word without chuckling. Go ahead -- try it!

BAMA (and if you know us and our extreme affinity for The Crimson Tide, you're not surprised by his nomenclature) has been quite an addition to our home this year. I have grown to adore him. I like the life and energy that he brings to our house. He's cuddly and quirky and looks like a cross between an ewok and a gremlin (Ooooh. Nice. Not one but two 1980s movie references in ONE sentence!)

David? Well, let's just say that he and BAMA have a love/hate relationship. (Must be a guy/testosterone thing. I'm not sure.)

BAMA lives a good life. He is played with regularly. Eats well. Snacks well. Never has to endure the heat. He's, no doubt, an inside dog. He likes it that way. He is self-important in every way.

One of the more unique things about BAMA is his myriad of clothes. He truly owns something for every occassion. I know what you're thinking. "Why would Lori force that poor dog to wear clothes? She's not one of thooooose people, is she?" [followed by an eye roll]

Surprise. You'd be wrong. David (my big, burly, manly husband) is responsible for all of the puppy's attire. For real. He sees them in the store and just can't resist. Go figure. ;-)

Besides, BAMA likes it. When you take one of his shirts off, he becomes very agitated and follows you to the washer/dryer. He's not happy when he's naked. Guess he must feel vulnerable. ;-)


[This was taken the moment we decided he was "the one"]

[You've gotta admit ... that's one cute face!]


[He loves to sport his tough guy Harley Davidson
shirt and bully the other neighborhood dogs]



[No. Your eyes are not deceiving you. He issss, in fact, sitting on his back knees. It's both humorous and sad, I think. In MY mind, I imagine him speaking in an English accent when he wears that argyle sweater. TOOO funny!]


[He would make Parrot Heads everywhere proud. He enjoys wearing his Hawaiian shirt while smoking his Cuban cigar. Really he does.]

4 Comments:

  • I am so excited to add you to my blog list. i love reading other peoples. i check them often so keep me entertained!! we have one to..to much usually to post because there is never a dull moment.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 7:14 PM  

  • how many LBS. is he? we just got one. a girl was wondering how big she will get?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:53 AM  

  • I have a snorkie named festis. I thought I was the only one thought they look like a e-walk or gremlin lol. Wish he liked to dress up as much as yours.

    By Blogger jsb, At 7:16 PM  

  • I have a snorkie named festis. I thought I was the only one thought they look like a e-walk or gremlin lol. Wish he liked to dress up as much as yours.

    By Blogger jsb, At 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home