L's Lair

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

SUMMERTIME AND THE LIVIN' IS EASY

I guess it's safe to say that we've become official "down-towners" over the past 3 1/2 years. We like living in the historic district and like being close to all that's happening in the downtown area.

Last Saturday, after my morning work-out (at a gym downtown!) I made the quick trip to the Magnolia Street Train Depot. They now have a great farmers' market each Saturday morning.


It was fun to stroll through the stands and smell the fresh produce. We've consumed my purchases all week in fresh salads. Very summer-y, no?



As I purchased these grape tomatoes from a vendor, he inquired, "So, whattaya have in that paper bag?" When I told him that I had just purchased some fresh mint from another stand, he (quickly...and without asking!) stuck his hand in my paper bag, pulled out a mint leaf and popped it in his mouth. He said, "Hmmm. Nah. That's not spearmint. I grow spearmint. I know spearmint. That must just be plain mint."

I coulda told him that if he'd only asked! Could you imagine the cashier at a national chain grocery store taking it upon himself to taste the produce you had just purchased?! Funny. You've gotta love the South....

If you're in the area, you really should check out the market. LOTS of great produce, eggs, plants, etc. -- much of it organic. Great way to kill a little time on a Saturday morning and to support the local farmers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home