L's Lair

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

REMEMBER TRYING TO CATCH THE BEGINNING OF A SONG AND HOPING THE DJ WOULDN'T TALK OVER IT?!



I'm reading a witty book right now -- Love Is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time by Rob Sheffield (a well-known rock critic and journalist). The book is basically a clever memoir of sorts. He looks back on his relationship with his "one special love" by reminiscing about 15 different mix tapes that they shared throughout various stages of their relationship.
I think most of us (especially children of the 80s and 90s) can relate to the mix tape phenomenon. Often times, a really good mix tape was better than any love letter. Mix tapes also came in handy when trying to handle the angst of a teenage break-up...the ultimate in tragedy!
I'll admit, I've not compiled or listened to a "love" mix tape in years and years. However, I suppose that my iTunes playlists are the ultimate modern form of a mix tape, huh?!
I mostly throw together upbeat playlists to serve as my background, inspiration and distraction while working out. Tonight, as I pushed through 30 minutes of strong (albeit it much resented!) cardio, I enjoyed this eclectic mix of butt-kickin' tunage:
There and Back Again -- Daughtry
(Gets my blood goin'. The cd is worth it for this song alone!)
Fully Alive -- Flyleaf
(A group that I'm really into right now. Hard music but delivered by a sweet, female voice.)
I Am -- Johnny Lang
(An old tune from one of my favorites. I have to sing out loud to this one.)
What Goes Around Comes Around -- Justin Timberlake
(Great songwriting. Infectious and hooky.)
Bones -- Little Big Town
(Love this song. Reminds me of an old Fleetwood Mac tune. Haunting.)
Home -- Marc Broussard
(I never get tired of this one! Makes me wish I was on a bus, headin' to the Bayou.)
The Kill -- 30 Seconds to Mars
(intense, intense song. perfect for workin' out)
Never Alone -- Barlow Girl
(Reminds me a lot of an Evanescence song. I'm also forced to huff and puff and sing along with this one.)

1 Comments:

  • Oh, I haven't thought of mix tapes in a long time. They were so awesome to make. I just commented to Roy that I was pleased to see a Justin Timberlake song on your playlist. He rolled his eyes. Then reminded me that it was "Bringing Sexy Back" that got me and a few other women up on a table this weekend at my cousin's wedding. It was just a coffee table. That doesn't count, right?

    By Blogger Toni, At 7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home