L's Lair

Monday, February 19, 2007

ME AND EFFIE? OH YEAH. WE SLUNG A RING.

Today is Presidents Day.

To some, this is a day to reflect on past leaders of our grand country. To others, it's a day to hit the great sales at the mall. To me . . . it was a day off from work!

Nothing can remind you that you're footloose and fancy-free better than attending a matinee movie during a typical work day.

David and I finally got around to seeing Dreamgirls this afternoon -- it's been on our list for a while.

Wow. Wow. Wow-wow-WOW.

I totally get why Jennifer Hudson is quickly filling her bookshelves with various awards for her convincing portrayal as Effie. I'm a believer. It's a given that she's an unbelievable singer but I think she has a future as an actress as well. It's worth seeing this movie for her performance alone.

We were lucky enough to have the theater allllll to ourselves. Not another soul was around.

I couldn't help it . . . when the long awaited movie crescendo finally arrived (and I'm referring, of course, to the infamous And I Am Telling You solo) I just had to do it. I just had to stand to my feet and join in the moment.

Don't worry. I didn't actually sing with her. (Ohhhhh. I wanted to. Just thought it would be disrespectful to intrude on such a moment.) However, I did "act out" the song along with her. I swayed. I pumped my arms all Mariah-Cary-like. I threw my head back with abandon. I even pointed deliberately around the theater when she got to the infamous "and you, and you and YOU" section. (Hush. You're just jealous that you didn't get to do it.)

Needless to say, I had fun. In case you're wondering . . . no, I wouldn't have done this if anyone had been in the theater. Was just meant to be I guess!

At some point, during my, um, performance, one of my favorite rings flew off my pointer finger. Ever the professional, I didn't let it slow me down. I finished my big number. (David was kind enough to search the theater once the lights had come up. I was happy when he found my missing jewelry.)

Too bad that that my performance won't be able to be considered by "the academy" this year. Maybe next year's MY year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home