L's Lair

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I'D LIKE TO THANK THE ACADEMY

Nerd alert! Nerd alert!

It's become tradition in the past few years that we go up to a cabin in the Tennessee mountains this time of year. Our birthdays fall just a couple of days apart so we celebrate by chillin' in a hot tub in Sevierville. (February is always the perfect time for that.) No place I'd rather be!

Another reason for this special annual trip is the Academy Awards. I love them! (I admit, I doooo have an awards show problem). Boring or not, I watch them every year.

I have a very patient & indulgent husband who is willing to watch the Oscars with me. (Is there any doubt that he loves me?!) In the months leading up to the award show, I usually drag him to obscure "art house" theaters to see as many of the nominated films as we can. (I think he'll get an extra ruby in his crown one day in heaven. Ya know, for putting up with all of this potentially emasculating activity.)

Our exclusive Oscar party comes complete with ballots. Predictions must be made before the show starts & we keep score throughout the broadcast. In all honesty? It's not that we're really that competitive, it's just that it seems to help keep us awake.

I'm happy to report that, this year, I was 5 for 6 when it came to the top 6 "biggee" awards. (I missed the picture of the year award . . . figured Babel would win . . . wanted Little Miss Sunshine to win.)

Unfortunately, there are never any monetary bets placed. Maybe we need to make that part of the tradition.

I was happy with most of the choices this year. I thought Ellen did a great job. She's so adorable and easy.

Watching the Oscars is a bit like a marathon. I do tend to "hit the wall" around the third hour. That's when supplies come into play. This years supplies included cookies and Doritos. And caffeine. Plenty of caffeine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home