L's Lair

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

How Would They Say "Two Thumbs Up" in Ireland?

This is the time of year that I like to keep up with the Sundance Film Festival. It's my dream to actually attend someday. I realize that the experience is probably HIGHLY overrated. Ten foot snow banks aaaaaand having to park four miles from the action would probably make for some uncomfortable times. But the snow bunny outfits?! How precious would I be?!

I'm sure I have it over-glamorized in my mind.

Regardless, I always make a point to pay attention to which movies get the infamous Sundance buzz IN Utah. There are always a couple of indie gems that seem to rise to the top during the festival (I believe they call those winners). I make a mental note of those films, because I want to be able to see them when they FINALLY come out a year later (to us common folk).

One of the movies that got accolades at the '07 festival was a charming little Irish musical called Once. I know. Sounds odd. It's NOT. It's not thaaaaat kind of musical. They don't just spontaneously break out into song...like a Disney flick. It's much more subtle than that.

Trust me. This is a GREAT movie. One of the best I've seen in ages. We loved it. Was one of those films that sticks with you for a while.

And the soundtrack?!! OHMYWORD. Love it! Had to rush home from the movie and download it from iTunes ASAP. Now THAT is the sign of a good soundtrack!

It came out on DVD at Christmas and David made SURE that it was in my stocking. YAY!

Check it out when ya get a chance. Hang in there. For the first 10 minutes you might be tempted to give up on the THICK Irish brogue. However, before you know it, you'll somehow be mesmerized and you'll suddenly understand every word.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home